Overclocking?

ericzang

Overclocking?

Post by ericzang »

Hi I'm interested in the Airtop3 with the 9900k.

1) Might it be possible to know the practicality of running it at an all core overclock of around 4.3-4.6 ghz for 1-3 hours? Ambient temperature is of course variable, but to give a number let's say about 27C.

I found the Power and Thermal videos, but it appeared the highest speed tested was at about 4ghz.
I won't be using it for games, and therefor would opt for the 1660 Ti. The application would be for music performance at low latency.

2) Would a typical house fan blowing on the case be of any assistance to the thermal performance?

3) Might it be reasonable to connect an external PCIe card dock via an adapter to either an M.2 port or a mini pcie port? Perhaps routing the cable under the top panel would work? This would be used to connect an audio interface pcie card. It only uses 1x PCIe lane. An example of such a dock/adapter device is here:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=XCSOURCE+V8. ... nb_sb_noss

Thanks very much!

irads

Re: Overclocking?

Post by irads »

2) Would a typical house fan blowing on the case be of any assistance to the thermal performance?
Very much so. Temperature would be reduced significantly.
1) Might it be possible to know the practicality of running it at an all core overclock of around 4.3-4.6 ghz for 1-3 hours? Ambient temperature is of course variable, but to give a number let's say about 27C.
Actually we haven't tested overclocking so can't testify about the stability. Definitely not recommended unless you add extra cooling (like the fan above), and if so, may make more sense opting for a motherboard designed for overclocking.
3) Might it be reasonable to connect an external PCIe card dock via an adapter to either an M.2 port or a mini pcie port?
The M.2 slots in Airtop3 are type E and type B. It may be possible connecting a mini PCIe or M.2 extender. We haven't tested.
Still would be easier with a standard motherboard.

ericzang

Post by ericzang »

Thank you Irad for the good information. It makes me think there could be a hypothetical overclocked "Low Noise" version or mode. It could use all the special heat treatments you have implemented but also use just enough fans to allow for high load/over clocking.

For my use, the small size but relatively high power of the airtop attracts me even more than the silent aspect of it, although of course the quietness is also an excellent feature I appreciate having.

When you wrote "opting for a motherboard designed for overclocking" I assume you do _not_ mean it is possible to change the motherboard in Airtop, due to its special construction?

Thanks!

irads

Post by irads »

It is not possible to install a standard motherboard in Airtop housing. There are many non-standard design features. For example, RAM needs to be on the opposite side to the CPU.

Return to “General Airtop3 questions”