External Graphics Card - with

Moderator: Andrey.Mazlin

startit_ltd

External Graphics Card - with

Post by startit_ltd »

Hi,
Is that possible to use external VGA card using the miniPCIE FACET card?

I tested/used a miniPCIe adapter like this: https://www.banggood.com/Mini-PCI-E-Ver ... rehouse=CN
Sample config:
Kijelölés_677.png
Kijelölés_677.png (270.9 KiB) Viewed 12197 times
It is working fine with an other computer (not laptop, but industrial board).

I assume it can work with fitlet2, too, right?

Thanks, István

tamir
Site Admin

Re: External Graphics Card - with

Post by tamir »

Very interesting question.
The compatibility for such solution should be examined both mechanically and HW wise.

I could only assume that if you'd give up one side panel to attach the mini PCIe adapter, it could perhaps fit.

We could only provide theoretical assumption on this, we'll check if this could work and reply.

Thank you.

startit_ltd

Re: External Graphics Card - with fitlet2/whatever

Post by startit_ltd »

Thank you Tamir for your comment.

In fact, I successfully use a minipcie 2xSata port adapter with 2x port multiplicator -> 10 x 2.5 HDD with my old IntensePC, so, I have a 10+1 storage attached.
It's not a commercial solution, but a DIY and working well.

I assume the external GPU also should work without problem, only question is the half size minipcie or whatever-size M.2 could be lead to the outer world from the case.

Regarding to the Fitlet2, I think, using one Facet card and removing a side panel it should work without problem.

I will order a new adapter, as the one used by my son in production (game :)

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

so since we have a standard mini PCIe pin-out, we don't see why this shouldn't work, but as we already observed, this solution doesn't work on all platforms, hence the best way is try and see.

I hope that somewhat helps.

startit_ltd

Post by startit_ltd »

Thanks, sure.
I already ordered some test external PCIe solutions.
For fitlet2, M.2 port version selected to keep the solution simple (m.2 ssd is in one port and the other one used for eGPU).
I keep you posted.

startit_ltd

Post by startit_ltd »

Hi,
Quick update:

Cheapest external PCIe card (miner) with M.2 M-key
  • it uses M-key form, so, it seems it only fits into the mSata reserved slot
  • with the standard cooling plate, the thermal pad is in its way, so, thermal pad should be removed to be able to attach to the M.2 M key slot
  • due to the limit of the M.2 M-key (only mSata/eMMC) it will not work
  • if the M.2 M-key is able to provide PCI lane, not only sata line (they are multiplexed - see the FC-PCI schematic) the problem will be, the pin 69 does not provide +3.3V to switch the sata lines into PEx lines
  • if someone just do it, using M.2 ssd/mSata is not working anymore, so, storage will be missing
Questions:
  • regarding to the pin 69 in the M-key socket, is it an output from the computer or input? I mean, the M.key card should provide a GND or +3.3V depending on the M.2 card itself (ssd or other)?
  • as I can see on the FC-PCI schematic, the PCIE channel 0 is shared between the M-key and E-key on the computer side, so, in general, maybe not so good idea to try to use the M-key for PCIE. Does the M-key strictly for mSata/eMMC purposes?
eGPU card with M.2 E-key
  • with standard cooling plate it is nearly impossible to fix the connector to the metal plate (the cable is covering the screw hole)
  • using fc-pci it is possible to fasten the connector into the face-t card, but bending the cable to be able to put the screw seems dangerious to the cable
  • otherwise it should work, I will check later

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

Below is a link to the Pin-out for the FC-PCI FACET card.
I hope this somewhat helps to understand the role of each pin:
http://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/FC-PCI ... tion_table

Return to “fitlet2 FACET Cards”