FITLET2-PARTS-FPCI - what devices can I use

Moderator: Andrey.Mazlin

lma

FITLET2-PARTS-FPCI - what devices can I use

Post by lma »

Hello,

I'm interested in the fitlet2 pc to replace my current router.
For this, I would like to use the FITLET2-PARTS-FPCI card, but I'm not sure if it is possible to use all devices I would like :-)

As software I I plan to use IPFire, maybe a different Linux based distribution. With the two LAN ports the main point is done. But as it is also possible to have the router as access point, I'll also add some WiFi cards.

With the FITLET2-PARTS-FPCI I cann add an M.2 SSD M-Key socket. The Intel WiFi card can work in AP mode, but isn't the best solution as I found in the internet. For this, I already bought a Compex WLE900VX miniPCIe card, which I could hopefully use in the miniPCIe-slot of the FACET card.
This Compex WLE900VX should be the AP for 5GHz WiFi.

But I would like to have also an AP for 2.4GHz WiFi, for this I could use a M.2 E-Key WiFi card SparkLAN WNFQ-158ACN(BT) or WNFQ-255ACN(BT). Both cards are M.2 with E-Key.

In the description of FITLET2-PARTS-FPCI I can see the following: FACET occupies both M.2 sockets of the SBC so it is not possible to install two storage devices or two WiFi cards.
Will this configuration work? Is there any restriction, so that only SSD+WiFi+3G/4G-Modem are working or should it be also possible to use SSD(M.2 M-Key)+WiFi(miniPCIe)+WiFi(M.2 E-Key)?

Here some links to the devices I would like to use:
- Compex WLE900VX: https://www.compex.com.sg/product/wle900vx/
- SparkLAN WNFQ-158ACN(BT): http://www.sparklan.com/p2-products-det ... 158ACN(BT)
- SparkLAN WNFQ-255ACN(BT): http://www.sparklan.com/p2-products-det ... 255ACN(BT)

Thanks & Best Regards,
Libor

tamir
Site Admin

Re: FITLET2-PARTS-FPCI - what devices can I use

Post by tamir »

Your question and intentions are clear and well explained.
As described, it is possible to run 2x Wifi cards with this configuration:
- SSD(M.2 M-Key)+WiFi(miniPCIe)+WiFi(M.2 E-Key)
We cannot recommend WIFI adapters that were not tested, though we do offer both M.2 E-Key and mPCIe WIFI adapter purchased directly from us.
You may contact our sales mailbox at - fitpcsales@compulab.co.il for a quote.

lma

Post by lma »

Hi Tamir,

the problem with the WiFi adapters from you, which are based on Intel chips, is that only some can work in AP mode and when they work in AP mode, than only on 2.4GHz, not on 5GHz.
The problem seems to be that the region is always set to 00 instead of (in my case) DE, so 5GHz AP mode is not available. I found a small thread with this issue and there was also an answer from Intel, where they said, that all WiFi Modules are for clients only and there will be no support for AP mode.

Will there be also test with another, maybe Qualcomm Atheros based WiFi cards? With them AP mode should be possible in 2.4GHz and also 5GHz.

Thanks & Best Regards,
Libor

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

lma wrote:Hi Tamir,

the problem with the WiFi adapters from you, which are based on Intel chips, is that only some can work in AP mode and when they work in AP mode, than only on 2.4GHz, not on 5GHz.
The problem seems to be that the region is always set to 00 instead of (in my case) DE, so 5GHz AP mode is not available. I found a small thread with this issue and there was also an answer from Intel, where they said, that all WiFi Modules are for clients only and there will be no support for AP mode.

Will there be also test with another, maybe Qualcomm Atheros based WiFi cards? With them AP mode should be possible in 2.4GHz and also 5GHz.

Thanks & Best Regards,
Libor
The WiFi Adapter adapter which we offer with the fitlet2 is the Intel Ac8260 dual band adapter.
You may use any M.2 Key-E for wifi adapter, but this is the one that is approved and has been tested.

Return to “fitlet2 FACET Cards”