Help With Legacy Mode on MBM - SOLVED

Moderator: Andrey.Mazlin

Tanker

Help With Legacy Mode on MBM - SOLVED

Post by Tanker »

Howdy all. I just received my Mint Box Mini (MBM) 2 Pro. So far I'm really liking it. When things with the chip shortage loosen up, I'm thinking I might buy another :) I have all kinds of things I would like to try to use it for. I'm going through and configuring it the way I would like it and part of that was shutting off UEFI (EFI) mode and reverting back to something I have a better understanding of. :)

When reloading Linux Mint 20.2 (LM) the first time the display settings had a much higher resolution selections in UEFI mode than they did in legacy mode. My MBM is attached to a Samsung 55-inch 4K TV using the HDMI port. I used the instructions on the FAQ page, "fitlet2 BIOS Legacy boot doesn't work, how to enable?". I changed all the settings in the BIOS to match and I was able to successfully reload LM and partition the drive in Legacy mode. WooHoo

Now, when I go to the Display settings in LM it only shows a max resolution of 1920 x 1080 when it had a higher resolution, I think, double that.

All I changed in the BIOS, that I meant to change :), were the settings for UEFI. There were multiple selections in the FAQ, one was Advanced/CSM Configuration/Video -> Legacy|UEFI. It is currently set per the FAQ, Legacy.

If I change this one setting to UEFI will it allow LM to detect the higher resolution while still allowing the unit to boot in Legacy mode?

I've been using computers since the 8088 & 286 days. I've changed a lot of BIOS settings but it's kind of hard for this old dog to keep up with the pack anymore :).
Last edited by Tanker on Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanker

Re: Help With Legacy Mode on MBM - SOLVED

Post by Tanker »

Thanks to all that took time to read my question, 30 at the current count. :)

I really didn't want to go in and start poking around, changing stuff with out some Idea of what I was changing.

As mentioned in my initial message, I used the FAQ settings to change the BIOS to Legacy Mode.

Changing the one setting "Advanced/CSM Configuration/Video" to UEFI allowed my Samsung 55" 4K TV to be recognized at the higher resolution. I then adjusted the Display settings in Mint to the Double (Hi-DPI) scale. All looks good at this point.

Hopefully, some one can make use of my poking around in the future :)

Stan

Return to “fitlet2 software”