Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Arourdilla
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:38 am

Re: Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Post by Arourdilla »

:shock: Successful reboot!
Ran:

Code: Select all

~$shutdown 125
Restarted after more than 12 hours.
So I will update if it fails to reboot the next day from a Terminal command as above, or any of all the GUI options to Shutdown like it was doing last time I checked.
I hope this is :idea: helpful to the topic. :idea:
  • Kernel~4.15.0-36-generic x86_64
    inxi~2.3.56
    Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1) dm: lightdm
    Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
    Machine:
    Mobo: Compulab / model: fitlet2 / v: 1.1
    serial: N/A / UEFI: American Megatrends
    v: FLT2.MBM2.0.40.01.00 / date: 07/05/2018
    Drives: HDD Total Size: 126.7GB (23.0% used)
    ID-1: /dev/mmcblk0 model: N/A size: 124.7GB serial: 0x0e01
    ID-2: /dev/sda model: M2SCF size: 126.7GB
    temp: 41C
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 117G used: 8.9G (9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
    ID-2: /boot/efi size: 63M used: 6.1M (10%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda1
    ID-3: /media/x/swap10Gb size: 9.8G used: 37M (1%)
    fs: ext4 dev: /dev/mmcblk0p2
    ID-4: /media/x/2-7 size: 104G used: 19G (19%)
    fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
My username is missing a letter m. Thanks auto correct. Thanks a lot.

JimTDI
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Post by JimTDI »

I have found that leaving a micro-SD card in the MBM2 Pro at all times, instead of disabling the SD card in the BIOS will work around the Power Down/Up issues. Let me know if this works for you.

Mikael63
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:53 am

Re: Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Post by Mikael63 »

JimTDI wrote:I have found that leaving a micro-SD card in the MBM2 Pro at all times, instead of disabling the SD card in the BIOS will work around the Power Down/Up issues. Let me know if this works for you.
Yes! That can explain some..
I'm pretty sure there was no problem for a while and then this issue occurred.
My idea was something about kernel update and so on but mostly all time in the beginning of using MBM2P, I have a micro-SD card for "Timeshift", and then I needed the card for something else... so..
I'll will give this a try from now, with a small card inserted.
Linux Mint Tricia (19.3) Cinnamon @ MBM2 Pro

Arourdilla
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:38 am

Re: Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Post by Arourdilla »

Installed an SD Card a while back and then recently started checking the shutdown/reboot issues again.

I've a great deal of success with terminal shutdown command. Still checking out the GUI/menu shutdowns. I've gotten a couple of buggy reboots, but I'm not sure how to describe it and consistently duplicate weird video glitching on right 3-4" of HDMI display.

Still waiting to hear an opinion on the hibernate option. :?:
I've talked with some people about it and there seems to be a sense that hibernate doesn't store all the states it needs, unless some proprietary features can be accounted for.

Still tickled pink over the MBM2 Pro.
My username is missing a letter m. Thanks auto correct. Thanks a lot.

Mikael63
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:53 am

Re: Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Post by Mikael63 »

JimTDI wrote:I have found that leaving a micro-SD card in the MBM2 Pro at all times, instead of disabling the SD card in the BIOS will work around the Power Down/Up issues. Let me know if this works for you.
Works for me! At least 12 successful startups.
Linux Mint Tricia (19.3) Cinnamon @ MBM2 Pro

DanielSch
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:27 pm

Re: Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Post by DanielSch »

tiki wrote:
this does not result in excessive power consumption
... so you basically say:
we can not really power-off a fitlet2/mbm2?
it will always stay on standby and keep consuming energy - but "not excessively"?

there's a difference between power consumption and no power consumption.

what is the idea behind this? or is it maybe just a fault that gets turned into a feature now?
I have the same problem. the trick with the SD-Card didn't work on my MBM2. nor did changing the OS setting in the bios to Linux, it only broke the audio (as mentioned above).

please any other solutions?

Arourdilla
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:38 am

I hope you got your audio back.

Post by Arourdilla »

DanielSch, my original post was about shutdown putting the device in a coma version of suspend that only cycling the power will fix. I am assuming that is the problem you are having. My device has behaved since my update post that shows the kernal I'm usin' etc.
BUT, not always.
Initially, I had luck rebooting after using the terminal command "shutdown now", so I stuck with that method. I tried everything, and finally just starting updating everything that came up in the software updater. I then figured I'd set up Timeshift. You may want to do that in the reverse order (set up system backup first). Then one day I tested the GUI shutdown overnight, & it rebooted. wow. That was what I wanted it to do without having to cycle the power, so fine. Those LED's really 0i$$ me off, but like tiki said "it's a feature". Another undesirable thing using the software updater instead of apt-get update, they are supposed to do the same thing AFAIK. But as far as I can tell, they don't.
So NOW, I have two devices sharing common peripherals through a USB3 A/B switch, and one"monitor" using a HDMI A/B switch. I switch them at various points so I can torture BIOS process and have managed to get a black screen similar to the initial problem.
FUNNY THING. I imagined that maybe the device might accept a password like it was in a login screen, and the correct password triggered some kind of reset that brought up the profiles desktop.
If this was not helpful you might try creating a new topic with a description of what is happening that you want to fix so the R&D folks might see it sitting at the top of a new topic
My username is missing a letter m. Thanks auto correct. Thanks a lot.

tamir
Site Admin
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:21 pm

Re: Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Post by tamir »

DanielSch wrote:
tiki wrote:
this does not result in excessive power consumption
... so you basically say:
we can not really power-off a fitlet2/mbm2?
it will always stay on standby and keep consuming energy - but "not excessively"?

there's a difference between power consumption and no power consumption.

what is the idea behind this? or is it maybe just a fault that gets turned into a feature now?
I have the same problem. the trick with the SD-Card didn't work on my MBM2. nor did changing the OS setting in the bios to Linux, it only broke the audio (as mentioned above).

please any other solutions?
Restore default in the BIOS menu to fix Audio.
As for the Amber LED when PC shuts down, or the GPIO front LEDS are functioning as designed.

The current situation of the fitlet2 power state after shutdown is explained in the following Errata - http://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fitlet ... 28sleep.29

Arourdilla
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:38 am

Re: Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Post by Arourdilla »

How to use an acronym: Power Management Integrated Chip (PMIC).

errata - the MintBox Mini2 Pro (MBM2 Pro) will not go to Shutdown State 5, S(5),
Shut. Down. Off
unless you hold the button down. But the LED's? They're staying on.

So it seems the ability to attain S(3) OR S(5) is being addressed in future models:
Fix: A new version of PMIC used in fitlet2 with serial number 1180725-00001 and later
so that's nice.
:idea: I would ask, while you're designin' things, if you'd make it possible to hibernate to S(5) and return to the desktop that was shut down.
:idea: And make the LED's turn off in S(5) through BIOS or command line toggle.
Maybe it already do. :oops:
Anyone know :?:
My username is missing a letter m. Thanks auto correct. Thanks a lot.

tamir
Site Admin
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:21 pm

Re: Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Post by tamir »

Arourdilla wrote:How to use an acronym: Power Management Integrated Chip (PMIC).

errata - the MintBox Mini2 Pro (MBM2 Pro) will not go to Shutdown State 5, S(5),
Shut. Down. Off
unless you hold the button down. But the LED's? They're staying on.

So it seems the ability to attain S(3) OR S(5) is being addressed in future models:
Fix: A new version of PMIC used in fitlet2 with serial number 1180725-00001 and later
so that's nice.
:idea: I would ask, while you're designin' things, if you'd make it possible to hibernate to S(5) and return to the desktop that was shut down.
:idea: And make the LED's turn off in S(5) through BIOS or command line toggle.
Maybe it already do. :oops:
Anyone know :?:
We are working on a solution that should address the GPIO LEDS behavior on shutdown, hopefully in the next BIOS update for fitlet2.
Machine entering S3 instead of S5 Fix is noted as well in the documentation, solution applied in later revisions.

Post Reply

Return to “fitlet2 software”