Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

SoulRescuer
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:29 am

Re: Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Post by SoulRescuer »

tamir wrote:I will escalate this issue to our R&D and return to as soon as possible.
Thank you!

After the last update from the linux mint update manager, now my kernel is 4.15.0-32-generic.

tamir
Site Admin
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:21 pm

Re: Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Post by tamir »

SoulRescuer wrote:
tamir wrote:I will escalate this issue to our R&D and return to as soon as possible.
Thank you!

After the last update from the linux mint update manager, now my kernel is 4.15.0-32-generic.
Thank you for providing all the information so far.

Our R&D department is working to replicate this issue and find a solution.
Will update here as soon as possible.

SoulRescuer
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:29 am

Re: Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Post by SoulRescuer »

tamir wrote:Thank you for providing all the information so far.

Our R&D department is working to replicate this issue and find a solution.
Will update here as soon as possible.
If i may... can you tell R&D department while they do their testing, they should shutdown the machine from the linux mint menu and maybe then they will see the problem. And they should try this for 10 times in a row... shutdown.. turn on... shutdown... turn on. I think this way they will replicate the problem.

Thanks and waiting

tamir
Site Admin
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:21 pm

Re: Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Post by tamir »

SoulRescuer wrote:
tamir wrote:Thank you for providing all the information so far.

Our R&D department is working to replicate this issue and find a solution.
Will update here as soon as possible.
If i may... can you tell R&D department while they do their testing, they should shutdown the machine from the linux mint menu and maybe then they will see the problem. And they should try this for 10 times in a row... shutdown.. turn on... shutdown... turn on. I think this way they will replicate the problem.

Thanks and waiting
Thank you, I will forward this.

Denis
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Post by Denis »

Hi,
If your Linux system periodically fails to boot after pressing power button and messages like "watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#2 stuck for 23s!" appears, please do the following BIOS settings changes:

- Press [Del] during boot to enter BIOS settings:
- Set Chipset -> South Cluster Configuration -> SCC Configuration -> SCC SD Card Support to [Disable]

Please report if helped or not. Please specify your distribution and kernel version.
Denis
Compulab's Linux support

SoulRescuer
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:29 am

Re: Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Post by SoulRescuer »

Denis wrote:Hi,
If your Linux system periodically fails to boot after pressing power button and messages like "watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#2 stuck for 23s!" appears, please do the following BIOS settings changes:

- Press [Del] during boot to enter BIOS settings:
- Set Chipset -> South Cluster Configuration -> SCC Configuration -> SCC SD Card Support to [Disable]

Please report if helped or not. Please specify your distribution and kernel version.
Denis
My distribution is Linux Mint 19 Tara with Cinnamon and the kernel i have right now is this 4.15.0-32-generic.

Well, after i did the change in BIOS (your suggestion) and i did many restarts, after that.. i didn't see any problem...!! No watchdog messages, it boots normal as it should. I don't know what to say, i really hope that the problem is fixed now. If that's the case and i will not see any other watchdog messages, then thank you very much. :) If the problem appear again then i will come back.

Will there be a new bios update will linux mint branding eventually? If yes, you will upload it to the to the Fitlet2 BIOS Files right?

Mikael63
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:53 am

Re: Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Post by Mikael63 »

I can confirm this issue.
Normal shutdown from OS (LM18, LM19) and then wait several hours (over the night), then start by using powerbutton gives CPU-stuck.
Never happens when just restarting, never happens when booting from "black power LED". (I.e. after power failure)

I can also confirm that suggested changes in BIOS setting helps.
At least now after booting (edit)20 times, with hours of "off-state" between.
(and maybe faster start up?)

This is good news but this changes also affect, of course, so I can not use SD-card for backup.
Linux Mint Tricia (19.3) Cinnamon @ MBM2 Pro

Arourdilla
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:38 am

Re: Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Post by Arourdilla »

Disabling the SD Card did not help me with the reboot issue. I prepared everything to update BIOS, but discovered that I already had that version loaded.
Took it apart and pushed the BIOS reset button, I think. Seemed like it pressed. Then I reset BIOS to default settings with F4 enter, and rebooted successfully from suspend a couple of times.
Started using shut down options in user menu, login menu and Terminal and got the blank screen treatment again.
Poked around in BIOS trying to find out what is causing the issue and found out that setting the OS system to Linux (an option reportedly for Yocta, which I couldn't figure out how that was relevant); because I am using Linux Mint Cinnamon Tara, causes the Digital Audio to malfunction.
As a matter of fact - the Digital Audio S/PDIF has never functioned. It just really becomes a problem when I switch the OS to Linux from Windows in BIOS, BECAUSE - the alternative that works for the 3.5mm out: analog stereo output, is suddenly not available. I put the BIOS OS option back to defaults and rebooted a couple of times and the analog stereo output came back (in the System Settings / Control Panel / Sound. Probably installing PulseAudio Volume Control helped make that work but this was a problem that when I got the audio to work I didn't determine what fixed it.
So the device seems to be scared of me poking and prodding around with practically no idea what I am doing and started behaving. I don't expect that to last, but that is only half of the solution I asked for in two other separate threads before I was directed to this one. Originally, the question was...
I would like to know how to shut the device OFF other than pushing the button. I would like to use Terminal "shutdown now", or use the Power Off... option in the GUI menu and have the device shut all the way off. Not sit there with an orange light and power going to USB ports. Shut. Down. Off.

:?: The question is whether the only way to turn it off is push and hold the button?
I am interested in this because I would like to next go about making sure that it can function through a hibernate state. :?: Is this device designed to operate in this manner?
Everything else is working fine, so thanks for that.
My username is missing a letter m. Thanks auto correct. Thanks a lot.

Mikael63
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:53 am

Re: Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Post by Mikael63 »

Arourdilla wrote: I would like to know how to shut the device OFF other than pushing the button. I would like to use Terminal "shutdown now", or use the Power Off... option in the GUI menu and have the device shut all the way off. Not sit there with an orange light and power going to USB ports. Shut. Down. Off.
Agree!
Linux Mint Tricia (19.3) Cinnamon @ MBM2 Pro

Mikael63
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:53 am

Re: Mintbox Mini 2 Pro: Problems after fresh install

Post by Mikael63 »

New BIOS 26-Sep-2018.
Update AMI core to version 0.46
Update Intel TXE Firmware to verstion 3.1.55.2269 to address security advisories: INTEL-SA-00125 INTEL-SA-00142
Update Secure Boot variables
Fix COM Port bug in Linux
Fix restore setup settings to defaults bug
Replace dynamic boot order to fixed boot order
Fix blank Administrator password bug
Not a fix for the issues explained in this thread?
Why?
Linux Mint Tricia (19.3) Cinnamon @ MBM2 Pro

Post Reply

Return to “fitlet2 software”