7 inch Display screen for fitlet

Moderator: Andrey.Mazlin

karen_impact

7 inch Display screen for fitlet

Post by karen_impact »

Hi Everyone,

I bought the 7 inch display touch screen with my fitlet 2 - when it arrived it doesn't come with a case or with a pencil - so the whole back of it is open, exposing the circuit board. There is no way to mount it to the fitlet, no mounting screws (like the raspberry pi ones) and no obvious way to keep it safe from dust etc if left as is - I was expecting an enclosed display (should have looked more closely when ordering I guess). Anyway - how do you all encase these safely or simply?

what would you recommend?

thanks
Karen

Andrey.Mazlin

Re: 7 inch Display screen for fitlet

Post by Andrey.Mazlin »

AS far as I know it should have the following back:

Andrey Mazlin, Application Support Engineer
Useful links:
https://fit-iot.com/web/
Support Wiki: http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/
Support mail: fitpcsupport@compulab.co.il

Mikael63

Post by Mikael63 »

karen_impact wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:07 am
I bought the 7 inch display touch screen with my fitlet 2 - when it arrived it doesn't come with a case or with a pencil - so the whole back of it is open, exposing the circuit board. There is no way to mount it to the fitlet, no mounting screws (like the raspberry pi ones) and no obvious way to keep it safe from dust etc if left as is - I was expecting an enclosed display (should have looked more closely when ordering I guess). Anyway - how do you all encase these safely or simply?
what would you recommend?
Not an answer, just curious:
1. Where did you buy the display?
2. What are you going to use it for, in what environment?
Linux Mint Vera 21.1 Cinnamon @ MBM2 Pro

karen_impact

Post by karen_impact »

Hi

I purchased it direct from FIT-IOT (mikael63) with the custom build fitlet.

I'm going to use it in my observatory - it will be in a dusty environment in country Australia- and obviously also subjected to the dew at night - hence the need to encase it.

Andrey - I obviously assumed it would be enclosed - which it isn't - I'm sure that is my mistake - not seeing it exposed in the online pics at purchase - so all I want to know is how to get the right case for it.
It doesn't look the same as the image you posted - Ive uploaded a pic to my astro website - not sure why its not loading here but you can follow the link easily enough.

HTTP://bigspark.com.au/fitlet-display

I'd love to get a recommendation for the case or buy a suitable one from you guys.

cheers
Karen

Mikael63

Post by Mikael63 »

A start to finding enclosures. For example this one:
https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/desktop- ... 22:true%7D
NOTE! I only choose one "random" enclosure without taking into account the dimensions. Remember that there must be space for the connectors on the inside. The display must therefore be moved laterally from the center.
Saw holes for the display and mount with thin double-sided adhesive tape.
https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/double-s ... /?sra=pstk
Make a U-shaped hole in the bottom part at its upper edge so that cables can be laid there and sealed with eg. silicone.

Edit: It looks like there is already adhesives on the display(?)

karen_impact

Post by karen_impact »

Hi Mikel

thanks for the reply - yes the re is adhesive around the edges - doesn't look too strong though. not sure how well it will hold.

your suggestion looks great - (but... for the same price I could buy a new one that is fully enclosed already which is disappointing - I've asked a few places here (Sydney Australia) and I'm not getting any options at all :-) )

If I don't get an answer from the FIT IOT people, I may just go to our local electronics supplier / jaycar - and buy a project case and figure out how to cut it to size.. Not the best solution - Ill still have a dust problem .. maybe I will have to put it on ebay or something. its not an ideal situation to be in at all.

cheers
Karen

Mikael63

Post by Mikael63 »

I suggested RS because I shop there by myself and know that they sell good stuff.
RS also has an Australian site (the one I linked to).
The enclosure I "suggested" seemed to be one of the most expensive brands. RS also sells cheaper enclosures.
Jaycar seems to be a good store to shop from.
Study the different alternative plastics, polycarbonate vs. ABS in terms of how easy / difficult it is to cut holes.

Return to “General fitlet2 questions”