Trying to connect to serial console

Moderator: Andrey.Mazlin

Roger_Freeman

Trying to connect to serial console

Post by Roger_Freeman »

I am having trouble connecting to the serial console of my Fitlet2 from a client PC.

I enabled serial console redirection in the Fitlet2 BIOS and bought the Compulab cable. I am connecting from a client PC using a USB to Serial adapter (Sabrent CB-FTDI) and a female-to-female adapter to connect to the Compulab cable. I have set my putty serial settings on the client to match the serial settings in the Fitlet2 BIOS. I cannot get anything to show up in my putty console. I have tried adding in a null model adapter and that didn't help anything. Have you been able to connect to the Fitlet2 serial console? Any tips?

EDIT: I was able to successfully connect but only during post. I can get into the BIOS. After the bootloader starts the OS, my serial console stops getting updates.

For the benefit of others, this is the USB to serial adapter I used on the client PC. Unlike the Sabrent, this cable has a female end so it connected directly to the Compulab serial dongle.

Now I am trying to figure out how to keep access to the OS after boot. Its an OPNsense firewall so its running FreeBSD.

Andrey.Mazlin

Re: Trying to connect to serial console

Post by Andrey.Mazlin »

Hi
Forum is not a best place for problem solving and troubleshooting. Please send us mail to fitpcsupport@compulab.co.il
Please add to it also the Serial Number from your device.
Andrey Mazlin, Application Support Engineer
Useful links:
https://fit-iot.com/web/
Support Wiki: http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/
Support mail: fitpcsupport@compulab.co.il

jlduran

Re: Trying to connect to serial console

Post by jlduran »

You'll have to use the EFI console. Try adding the following to /boot/loader.conf:

Code: Select all

hw.uart.console="mm:0xfea10000,rs:2"
According to the datasheet, UART 2 is the host OS debug console (pci0:24:2):

Code: Select all

# pciconf -l -b pci0:24:2
uart2@pci0:0:24:2:	class=0x118000 rev=0x0b hdr=0x00 vendor=0x8086 device=0x5ac0 subvendor=0x8086 subdevice=0x7270
    bar   [10] = type Memory, range 64, base 0xfea10000, size 4096, enabled
    bar   [18] = type Memory, range 64, base 0, size 4096, enabled
These are memory-mapped UARTs.

Return to “General fitlet2 questions”