New SSD and installing Linux Ubuntu-budgie

Moderator: Andrey.Mazlin

Gerald

New SSD and installing Linux Ubuntu-budgie

Post by Gerald »

On my fitlet2 MBM2 which came with 64G ssd and linux mint, I am attempting to swap to a 128G ssd and to install OS of my choosing.
The old ssd has been replaced and to the best of my belief the change went exactly to plan, following guidance in the Owner's Manual.

I have no means of validation because the new ssd is brand new and blank.

Assuming all is OK, I have burnt a DVD with iso image. I believe this to be good because when attaching an external DVD reader/writer it will be recognised on another computer as "USB2.0 External Mass storage device" and when run, will begin the expected loading ... I stopped this as not wanting to actually install on that other computer.

So now with DVD plugged into a USB port on the fillet2, it opens up with the BIOS screen. I change the boot order to
#1 USB CD/DVD
#2 HDD

Also BIOS is saying OS selection : LINUX

I then save and exit BIOS by Save & Exit menu ... "Save changes & Rest" nb this was the only way I found to get out of BIOS > F10 did not respond.
(BIOS is by 2018 American Megatrends)

The DVD disc gives a short whirl but doesn't carry on. After a short while the system times out to the BIOS screen again. I have tried repeated hits on the ENTER key, but to no avail.

Any suggestions please.

Mikael63

Re: New SSD and installing Linux Ubuntu-budgie

Post by Mikael63 »

Why not use a USB-stick for booting and installing?
Recommend balenaEtcher (both Linux and Windows) for flashing USB-stick from ISO.
Linux Mint Vera 21.1 Cinnamon @ MBM2 Pro

Gerald

Post by Gerald »

Thanks Mikael ... I may investigate. There is also consideration of UNetbootin, a good choice for Linux maybe.

However my problem seems to be related to BIOS recognition and have therefore made a separate posting on the Fitlet2 hardware forum page.

Paul.McPherson

Post by Paul.McPherson »

I've had good experiences with UNetbooting in the past, I think it's a good idea to give it a try!

Return to “General fitlet2 questions”