Video Streaming

Moderator: Andrey.Mazlin

elchucko

Video Streaming

Post by elchucko »

I purchased a Fitlet2 from Compulab and use it to replace my desktop pc. When using it to view Netflix movies I notice a slight pause every several seconds as the video is played. What should I check? I added a CD player and when attempting to view video the pauses are very apparent. Thank you

Mikael63

Re: Video Streaming

Post by Mikael63 »

Just Netflix?
What happens when watching Youtube?
Linux Mint Vera 21.1 Cinnamon @ MBM2 Pro

irads

Post by irads »

Video playback performance is dependent on many factors - hardware, OS and graphics driver, player, media encoding, resolution to name a few.
Generally, the Apollo Lake in fitlet2 is OK for playback of H.264 in 1080p. May not playback well H.265 or 4K.

Worth checking that you are using up-to-date display driver.
The easiest thing to try is usually several players. It has been quite a while since we experimented at Compulab with video playback so I cannot recommend a specific one. Ensure that you have hardware acceleration for video decoding enabled.
Often there are post-processing video filters that may impact performance. Especially if they are not supported by the video engine of the GPU.
There is often a difference between performance in Linux and in Windows if you have the flexibility to choose between them.

It is possible to transcode the media to a format that is easier for the hardware to playback, but this is quite a time consuming process.

elchucko

Post by elchucko »

Than you for the replies. YouTube is also affected. I am running LM 19.3. It seems by using Media Player the video is smoother. I am using all the USB ports and have a USB2 expansion (4 ports in use on the expansion). I was going to unplug all the USB ports I could to see if that could affect it. Also could adding memory help? Thank you again.

irads

Post by irads »

I think you are doing the right experiments.
If you have 4 GB RAM or more, changing is not likely to help. If less - maybe.

Return to “General fitlet2 questions”