How to work with APU TPD in BIOS?

TheLaG

How to work with APU TPD in BIOS?

Post by TheLaG »

Hi guys!

I am happy user of Fitlet-H, got it yesterday, so I thought about few "Burn out" tests to collect data about Fitlet performance :twisted: , I went to BIOS, and fount "APU TDP" in "Power Settings" and started to play with values not forgetting to checking performance in tests.

When I checked test results for 25.000 (mW), 20.000 (mW) and 15.000 (mW) + power consumption @ PSU, there was VERY similar results, so I have a question, does APU TPD limiting is working? or I need to check some other options in BIOS to make it work? :geek:

Running now Win7, with all tests, I got ~21 W power consumption @ PSU in peak, and around 17-18 [mW] when testing.

----
p/s limiting APU TPD with 4500 [mW] level, power consumption level went a little down (to 15-16 [W] with peak @ 19 [W])

irads

Re: How to work with APU TPD in BIOS?

Post by irads »

It appears you are doing everything correctly.
The A10-Micro 6700T can consume up to about 10W, so allowing the CPU to consume 15000 mW or 25000 mW has no difference. With other CPU models it will make a difference though.

17-18W at the wall = 15W appears to be at the expected range under full load. fitlet-H is designed to cope well with this power envelope.

TheLaG

Post by TheLaG »

So basically, there is no point in changing values of Fitlet-H Power setting, because this option is not for this processor, but more like for future type of Fitlet (like T version)?

irads

Post by irads »

To the matter of fact TDP setting does affect the CPU in fitlet-H, but only in the range of 0-10000 mW. For higher values it has no effect.

For fitlet-H you should normally just set TDP to 25000.

In some cases a user may prefer to get very low power instead of performance so he could set TDP to 3000.

TheLaG

Post by TheLaG »

Yes, when I got Fitlet-H, the value was set @ 25000.

Thanks for answers, I'll check now how settings from 1-10000 will affect system :)

(when limited system @ 4500, I got ~60-70% score in comparison with no limits)

Return to “Power and heat”