mSATA heat sink missing in docu

gorgon

mSATA heat sink missing in docu

Post by gorgon »

Hi, a documentation bug:
A nice informative article and picture about your mSATA heat sink can only be found far down on your google page. But it is not mentioned on your homepage (for example in the listing what's in the box, or in the wiki, as far as I could see). Neither is it mentioned in the booklet that came with the fitlet. Took me a while to find out what to do with it.

mbirger

Re: mSATA heat sink missing in docu

Post by mbirger »

Thank you for the feedback. We will mention it in a more accessible place.
The booklet was printed before we have added mSATA heatsink.
It will be added in the specs.

Jackobli

Post by Jackobli »

The installation is explained in the wiki. 8-)
See http://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fitlet ... e_Assembly

But it didn't fit in my fitlet-iA10 together with an Samsung EVO mSSD 850. So I didn't install it.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Can you explain why it didn't fit with Samsung EVO 850.
What is the PN of the SSD.

Jackobli

Post by Jackobli »

I installed a Samsung 850 EVO mSSD 120 GB (Part number) MZ-M5E120BW.
After installing the heat sink, I was unable to close the case. Seems, that mSSD is a little bit to thick?

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Maybe you have some other mechanical stack up issues.
Please send some pictures to support@fit-pc.com of the open fitlet where you try to insert the mSATA.
Make sure that you close the bottom cover in the correct orientation, as it is only one fit (due to mechanical pin).

fmk

Post by fmk »

I also have a problem with the EVO 850. I requested and received a heat plate for my iA10. When attaching the plate to the ssd, the chips on the ssd act as a fulcrum and the circuit board tilts up at an angle. The only way to get the board and plate to fit flat is have the screw so loose that it doesn't hold anything. Should it be that loose? I assume I don't want to bend the ssd board.

irads

Post by irads »

The screw does not have to be tight. It is perfectly fine to keep it loose.
When you close the bottom cover of fitlet it completely cancels all degrees of freedom of the heat plate in XY and applies pressure in Z (indirectly to the SSD, through the bend in the heat-plate).
Stop before fulcrum, it will hold just fine.

fmk

Post by fmk »

Ok, I took another try at this. One of the chips on the ssd is thicker than the other. In the attached picture, if the heat plate is flat against the thicker chip, the other isn't touched. If the heat plate is touching both chips, they only make contact at the edges. If I put the cover on I assume only the thick chip will make contact. Is this proper? There is a sticker over both chips so I can't identify them.
Attachments
heat-plate-gap.jpg
heat-plate-gap.jpg (41.56 KiB) Viewed 15502 times

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

The main chips on mSATA is SATA controller and NAND flash memories.
Usually the hot chip (the one you need to couple to the heatplate) is the SATA controller, which placed close to the edge connector.
Also, usually there are several flash memories chips onboard while the controller is single and looks differently. So you can identify which one is controller (probably the thick one, despite that it is hard to see from the images).
You don't have to bend or to tighten the screw, as long as the heatplate make a contact with the controller.

Return to “fitlet hardware”