Kernel for Meltdown/Spectre

fmk

Kernel for Meltdown/Spectre

Post by fmk »

Any suggestions on a working kernel/video driver combo with meltdown patches?

I'm using Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Xfce (had upgraded from 17.1) with the recommended 3.16.0-38 kernel and fglrx driver. Linuxmint.com says to use 3.13.0-139 but with that I lose the cpu temp sensor. I also tried 4.4.0-109 which brings back the cpu sensor, but there are serious lags, like a second or two switching windows (Alt-Tab). I only tried either kernel for a short time so I don't know if there are other problems.

Or should I try upgrading to Mint 18.3?

Edit: oh, I have the fitlet iA10

Denis

Re: Kernel for Meltdown/Spectre

Post by Denis »

Hi,
Please upgrade to latest Linux Mint 18.3:
http://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fitlet ... ux_Mint_18
Compulab's Linux support

fmk

Post by fmk »

Ok, I'm working my way through setting up Mint 18.3. Basic install worked ok, kernel and video driver no problems so far. But there are a few bumps in the road.

Since Mint changed to systemd in 18, enabling ALPM as described here http://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Aggres ... ent_(ALPM) no longer works (/etc/pm/power.d is ignored). This is my first foray into systemd (always sysvinit in the past), so I don't know the proper way to do this. Google has so far been unhelpful. Could the wiki be updated please?

Arwen

Post by Arwen »

fmk wrote:Any suggestions on a working kernel/video driver combo with meltdown patches?
Edit: oh, I have the fitlet iA10
In case you don't know, Meltdown is an Intel CPU problem only. (At least as far as we know now.) The fitlet generation 1 are all AMD CPUs, so no kernel page table isolation needed.

Thus, us fitlet1 owners only have the Spectre variants to worry about :-).
Arwen Evenstar
Rivendale, Middle Earth

Return to “Linux on MintBox Mini / Linux on fitlet”