IPC2 GSM/HSPDA+ PCIe Modem

nick76

IPC2 GSM/HSPDA+ PCIe Modem

Post by nick76 »

Hi,

I have read in the technical specs that the new IPC support WLAN. There is also a note somewhere mentioning it has a SIM slot.

I am wondering what modems are availalble or have been tested?

I understand the modem needs to be a PCIe card like the following:
http://www.multitech.com/en_US/PRODUCTS ... nnectPCIe/

however all the units I have seen so far require the SIM to be installed directly on the card?. IS there an OEM unit or something for IPC2?

Cheers, Nick.

nick76

Re: IPC2 GSM/HSPDA+ PCIe Modem

Post by nick76 »

... oh and also are there internal antenna's available inside the IPC2 computer that the card can connect to?

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

For cellular communication a cellular modem module must be installed to mini PCI slot (full), while the SIM socket provided onboard due to space considerations. The SIM card is an integral part of cellular communication, used for authentication and billing information, and provided by mobile operators. Cellular modem module should be installed and configured by customers. Compulab provides HW support and capabilities for such communication, but the overall solution should be done by customers.

We offer Telit HE910 3G cellular modem with external antenna.

If both WLAN/BT and Cellular modem installed simultaneously, each with single antenna connection.

belette

Post by belette »

Hi!

I got 2 IPC2 and I am interested as well to use a 4G modem
I am using my IPC2 as an endpoint ppp and would like to use 4G as in a failover mode as my ADSL is not stable...

I am not sure to understand your reply :(
If I buy a PCIe Modem is this would work? Do you have some recommandation or already tested some 4G card working on Linux?

In case some card work how this would work with the internal SIM slot and antenna? Or should we mount antennas somewhere?

Many Thanks for your clarifications

Ben

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

IPC2 incorporates mini PCIe slot on-board, thus it supports any valid mini PCIe card. And as long as you use a valid mini PCIe card with right drivers it should be detected by the system and appear in your device manager or Linux similar tool.
We didn't test 4G modems therefore cannot recommend any. We have tested, verified and sell Telit 3G modem available on our site:
http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/acce ... lular-kit/

Please refer to CompuLab Cellular Kit User Guide in order to understand SIM and antenna installation and card configuration:
http://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fit-PC ... _CellModem

belette

Post by belette »

many thanks for your reply.
I am currently testing a Sierra Wireless MC8805 (3G+ card)
It is like if I am not using both antennas it is not able to get the HSDPA signal only 2G/3G signal are available, I took a look on my laptop with wireless and 3G+ card and it seems they use the same antenna connected in serial (using one more cable sticked to the other) do you think it is the right approach?

Regarding the card, it is like I am able to see it (/dev/cdc-wdm0), able to connect and interact with the SIM (retrieving MSISDN...thanks to qmicli program) but unable to get any address, I am still not sure if it is well recognized in the kernel as it should emulate a /dev/ttySx if I understand well to be able to communicate and I am not getting any proper one...

if you have any experience on that would help me a lot..
many thanks

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Unfortunately we don't have experience operating with 3rd party cell. modems

Return to “IPC2 Hardware”