Install OS via Serial port on Fit-PC2i v1.2

yzh

Install OS via Serial port on Fit-PC2i v1.2

Post by yzh »

Just received my Fit-PC2i v1.2 by mail, nice service and delivered within the expected date listed on the website.

I wanted to set it up as soon as possible, but then I noticed I do not have any DVI/HDMI capable displays at home yet :o

I was wondering if one can use a USB-Serial cable to setup the OS (linux/bsd)? I plan to run it as a headless server. If it's not possible I will probably have to wait until I buy a new TV :lol:

vetetix

Re: Install OS via Serial port on Fit-PC2i v1.2

Post by vetetix »

Maybe it is possible to get the hard disk out of the fit-pc, to install it into another computer, to install your OS on it and then only to put it back into the fit-pc.

That was one option i was considering, because it could help me avoid buying a fit-vga converter, could someone tell us if it is possible?

yzh

Post by yzh »

I bought a diskless version.. :) But maybe it's possible by using an USB stick as well.

I plan to use a mini-sd card. Beware that these mini-sd cards are kinda old and replaced by microsd and sd cards. I was kinda clueless about these cards so I bought a Sandisk 4GB SD card which looks almost the right size of the slot. When I tried to put it into the fit-pc2i it didn't fit :oops:

I've been to couple of stores and they do not sell mini-sd cards anymore, so I guess I have to order it online.

vetetix

Post by vetetix »

As far as I know, the fit-pc cannot boot on the SD card. Anyway you can't install the OS directly on the fit-pc if you have neither a display nor a keyboard.

If I were you i'd try to do it as I explained in my previous answer : install it on the hard drive in another computer, then put the hard-drive in the fit-pc.

yzh

Post by yzh »

vetetix wrote:As far as I know, the fit-pc cannot boot on the SD card.
The Fit-PC2i v1.2 (newest revision) supports booting from SDHC according to the wiki:
http://www.fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?t ... _Revisions
vetetix wrote:Anyway you can't install the OS directly on the fit-pc if you have neither a display nor a keyboard.
I do have a keyboard, but I guess you are right about the display. I guess I have to plug it in at my work and configure it and then use it headless at home :)

vetetix

Post by vetetix »

yzh wrote:
vetetix wrote:As far as I know, the fit-pc cannot boot on the SD card.
The Fit-PC2i v1.2 (newest revision) supports booting from SDHC according to the wiki:
http://www.fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?t ... _Revisions
Oh, right, I didn't know that.
yzh wrote:
vetetix wrote:Anyway you can't install the OS directly on the fit-pc if you have neither a display nor a keyboard.
I do have a keyboard, but I guess you are right about the display. I guess I have to plug it in at my work and configure it and then use it headless at home :)
Yeah, that is a solution.

Return to “fit-PC2 hardware”