wifi driver in win7

hma

wifi driver in win7

Post by hma »

Hello,

after exchanging my intense pc i7 to a newer unit with mSATA support (same system SSD) it seems to be necessary to update my wifi drivers, since this component seems to be different from the old machine.
I don't have success in installing wifi drivers under win7 pro 64bit. In device manager I find the wifi card as unknown device, but after running setup.exe in http://www.fit-pc2.com/download/Intense ... .06.05.zip (seems the right one to me) windows tells me that it installs a wifi driver and after reboot device manager still doesn't find it properly, the wifi card stays unrecognized.
In Ubuntu 13.04 wifi runs fine.
Any ideas?
lspci -v output is:

Code: Select all

04:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8723AE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
	Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 0733
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
	I/O ports at 3000 [size=256]
	Memory at e0600000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
	Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
	Capabilities: [70] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
	Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
	Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel
	Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 01-23-87-fe-ff-4c-e0-00
	Kernel driver in use: rtl8723ae
Thanks,
Hendrik

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: wifi driver in win7

Post by gabrielh »

What is Vendor ID and Dev ID of your card?
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

hma

Post by hma »

Windows device manager says
PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8723&SUBSYS_073310EC&REV_00

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Please remove all the installed WiFi drivers and try to install the drivers from the QCOM folder
Gabriel Heifets

hma

Post by hma »

That's what I tried several times without success.
Before and after installing the drivers from http://www.fit-pc2.com/download/Intense ... .06.05.zip
the network devices tab looks the same:
network adapters.PNG
network adapters.PNG (29.86 KiB) Viewed 18289 times
Windows doesn't detect an appropriate driver in the folder when searching for a new driver in device manager manually (and there is no dedicated "QCOM" folder, if this is the problem). The only possibility is installing via the setup.exe. It says it installs wifi and bluetooth drivers, and the installed driver then is:
installed driver.PNG
installed driver.PNG (5.46 KiB) Viewed 18289 times
But there still is no wifi device in the network devices list and I still have one device (the card with the vendor and dev ID I wrote about) left without drivers.

What to do?

Thanks,
Hendrik

hma

Post by hma »

The issue still persists. I have dowloaded the indicated driver files multiple times, also tried online driver search, still no success.
Is there another functional driver for this card and win7-64bit I can try?
Do you need additional information?

Thanks,
Hendrik

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

After reviewing a similar issues, I suspect it some how related to a localized version of the Windows 7. Can you obtain a copy of non localized English version of Windows 7, and try to reproduce this issue?
Gabriel Heifets

hma

Post by hma »

Sorry, I don't own and don't have access to an english version of Win7Pro64. I wouldn't buy one just for testing purposes, I don't have any use for it. I'm no distributor or so but just a user trying to have one of my PCs running.
To point it out more clearly, with the hardware I had before (Intense PC i7 earlier generation) it ran fine, with exactly the same SSD and operating system on it. The hardware got changed due to the mSATA issues (eg. suspend to ram not possible) with the hardware rev before 1.2. These issues seem to be mostly solved now (PC sometimes still hangs on reboot, but I can live with that), and the lack of a functional wifi driver is the main issue left for me.
As I wrote earlier, the hardware is not defective, it's running fine under linux.
Do you need any further information from me?

Thanks,
Hendrik

irads

Post by irads »

Since hardware is working and the driver installs correctly in CompuLab standard distribution, there seems to be no fundamental problem. Yet, driver installation that fails is very difficult to diagnose - I doubt that we will be able to assist on that.
If you wish to try another WiFi module, we can provide the AzureWave that worked for you before.

hma

Post by hma »

I'm not 100% sure if I had an Azurwave module before (had to return the old hardware to the distributor before getting the new one), but it sounds quite plausible, if that's the only other type of wifi module built into these PCs. I'd be quite happy to try it. How to proceed? Should I contact my distributor again?

Thanks,
Hendrik

Return to “WLAN and miniPCI-e”